CNC Application Engineer
The CNC Application Engineer develops machine tool processes and provides applications support through fabrication of customer-requested samples to specification. This position requires training of customers with customized agendas based on the customer application. The CNC Application Engineer plays an important role in supporting the daily requirements in the operation and maintenance of ultra-precision machine tools as well as manufacturing and metrology development in fabrication of optical components. The successful candidate must be a team player with strong math skills, computer skills, machine tool process engineering (optics knowledge a plus) and be self-motivated with a willingness to learn. Some domestic and international travel may be required.
Core Responsibilities/Duties for the CNC Application Engineer position
- Ultra-precision diamond turning/grinding on a wide variety of customer specific, application driven, components.
- Maintain expertise in at least 1 core manufacturing processes (turning, synchronized slide servo, fast tool servo, grinding, glass molding, drum lathe operation, jig grinding, milling, on-machine metrology).
- Establish relevant manufacturing processes.
- Provide customer support and training
- Read and interpret blueprints, planning sheets, sketches, and related technical data; have knowledge of the manufacturing sequences and machining methods; and able to prove out part programs.
- Design, build, and assemble appropriate fixtures, programs, and processes necessary to demonstrate the manufacture of optical quality parts meeting customer specific applications
- Document troubleshooting procedures to provide detailed reporting of process solutions
- Operate various optical metrology equipment (interferometers, SWLI, auto-collimators, microscopes, etc.) for qualification of machined parts. Use Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) to ensure fit form and function.
- Travel to customer facilities (domestic and international) as needed to train and support customers. Occasional travel to conferences for presentation of newly developed processes.
Required Education and Experience for the CNC Application Engineer Position
- 2 years college/technical school education and/or 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of GD&T, ASME, ANSI, and other appropriate standards for dimensioning and tolerancing
- Knowledge of CAD techniques, modeling and design, and high-level three-dimensional parametric CAD systems.
- Experience with CAM software.
- Experience programming CNC machine tools.
- Knowledge of mathematical formulas and computations (e.g. algebraic, geometric, shop math).
- Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written technical information.
Preferred Education and Experience for the CNC Application Engineer Position
- Experience diamond turning or grinding optics.
- Communications training for presentations.
- General knowledge of optics and related formulas.
To learn more about the CNC Application Engineer position please contact Ken Wilkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-778-9090