Our Wisconsin client is looking for a Security Engineer to support the continuing development, implementation, facilitation and communication of the Information Security Policy within all areas of the business with a keen focus on security operations including network perimeter defense and systems security. The Security Engineer will assist with the support of existing security controls to ensure stability, uptime and effective control operation. They will perform on-going monitoring of networks and network elements, both internal and customer-facing, to ensure compliance with policy and standards.
Responsibilities of the Security Engineer is primarily IT Security Program Development/Integration, including:
- Assist in research and testing of new technologies from a security perspective as required and as driven by the business or regulatory needs.
- Measure and report system security posture through the ongoing development and refinement of security metrics.
- Work directly with Information Technology (IT), Network Services (NS), Network Operations (NO) and TDS Corporate to ensure that the technical infrastructure is adequately secured.
- Implement firewall and VPN policies. Deploy firewalls and VPNs using recommended implementation designs.
- Assist in the deployment and operation of security controls including, but not limited to: intrusion detection, content filtering, configuration management and vulnerability management controls.
- Assist in the development of security applications to address security control requirements.
- Monitor systems and devices for compliance with security and regulatory requirements, evaluate activity logs and document actions taken to investigate and resolve any identified issues.
- Work with infrastructure custodians to set appropriate system monitoring and logging parameters and ensure that audit logs are appropriately reviewed and retained.
- Follow established forensic principles for evidence seizure, computer forensic analysis and data recovery.
Required Qualifications for the Security Engineer
- Bachelor degree (or higher) –OR– 4+ years of professional work experience.
- 6+ years of IT-related work experience; 4+ years of IT security-related work experience.
Other Qualifications for the Security Engineer
- Strong preference for candidates with one of the following certifications: ISC² SCCP, CompTIA Security+ or SANS GIAC or one of the following advanced certifications from ISC²: CISA, CISM, CIPP or CISSP.
- Proficient with security principles such as encryption, hashing, PKI and the AAA framework.
- Experience with one or more programming languages in the use of simple scripting or application development including: UNIX shell, Perl, Python or Ruby.
- Familiarity with a SIEM or other scalable log management solution and with open source log storage tools such as ELSA, Elastic Stack or Graphite.
- Experience with performing and being the technical lead for security investigations and electronic forensic analysis.
- Experience with one of the following firewall platforms (Cisco ASA, Juniper ScreenOS and SRX, Fortinet and Palo Alto Networks). Experience with Anti-DDoS security devices a plus.
- Proficient with remote access solutions including solutions for mobile devices.
- Experience with IPSec and SSL VPN implementations from Cisco, Juniper ScreenOS and SRX, Fortinet or Palo Alto Networks technologies.
- Experience with network hardware including routers, switches and wireless APs. Experience with network packet brokers (NPBs) a plus.
- Familiarity with network technologies and IP protocols (e.g., VLAN, MPLS, TCP, UDP, ICMP, SA, SCTP, anycast, multicast & unicast). Proficient with the OSI 7 Layer network model.
- Proficient with IPv4 protocol fundamentals including layer 2 resolution, addressing and subnetting. Familiarity with P1/P2 data flows and anycast. Basic familiarity with IPv6 protocol fundamentals.
- Experience with Internet networking protocols (e.g., DNS, NTP, SMTP, FTP, etc.) and experience performing analysis of raw data captures with Wireshark.
- Familiarity with VoIP signaling and media protocols.
- Experience with 2 or more families of server OS’s including Windows, Linux or UNIX and with 2 or more desktop OS’s including: Windows, Apple macOS or popular Linux distributions.
- Experience in monitoring and administration of network and host-based intrusion detection and prevention systems such as OSSEC, Tripwire or Verisys.
- Experience with network security assessment tools such as masscan, nmap, zmap, Canvas, Core Impact, Metasploit, Lynis, hping, scapy and tcpreplay.
- Familiarity with open source network security intrusion detection tools (e.g., Snort, Bro, Suricata)
- Perform tasks outside normally scheduled business hours to complete project work, provide on-call support and/or implement scheduled changes as needed.
For more information on the Security Engineer position, please contact Ken at firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-778-9090. We regret we are unable to provide sponsorship for this position.